I was looking up gluten free recipes on Pinterest, when I came across a recipe for Low Carb Gluten Free Bread from Kayla Chandler. It seems like a fairly simple recipe, which seems too good to be gluten free. There is no flour of any kind involved, it is simply made out of eggs, protein powder, and salt…interesting, right? I’m not really sure what to expect from this recipe since it is so different than my traditional view of bread. I will update you on my thoughts as I make it.
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup of whey protein powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Celtic Sea Salt or Himalayan Salt
- Coconut Oil
- Separate the egg whites from the yolk. Place the yolks in a separate bowl.
- Mix the egg whites for 5-6 minutes using a mixer or until they look similar to whipped cream.
- Add the whey protein, salt, and yolks to the egg whites and mix it all together.
- Grease the pan with coconut oil and pour bread mixture into the pan.
- Bake at 350 for 45-55 minutes.
- Let the bread cool in the pan.
Update* The bread mixture itself was really simple and easy to make. It did not take long for the mixture to begin to rise and look similar to bread once in the oven. I took the bread out after 45 minutes and let it sit for a while. When it first comes out, the bread is super fluffy, however it sinks very quickly while cooling.
Overall, I think the final product is okay. Personally, I think it works more as quiche than as bread, however you can make it work if necessary. For being gluten free, low carb, and paleo the recipe works pretty well. If you have any advice on how to make this more bread like and fluffy, please share it in the comments!